Friday, 30 October 2015

30/10/15

 
Today after mum dropped me off at Hamilton Square so I could attend an NCS meeting she went off to the Docks to see what was around. On the East Float she had 1 Grey Heron, 1 Juv Mute Swan, 1 Kingfisher, 30+ Cormorant, 2 Robin, 15+ Great crested Grebe, 1 Blackbird and 6 Canada Geese! The Mute Swan is a site first! Well done Adele for spotting it! Mum also reported that the Kingfisher (female) favoured the bank from the Wirral Met College along to the Tower Quays.
 
Going back to when I was going to the NCS meeting; when I got to Liverpool I got slightly lost...................I spent 30mins walking in the opposite direction to which I was meant to be going in. While I was "slightly" lost I walked down Nicholas Street were while I was on the phone to mum explaining my situation I spotted a female Black Redstart, which was going along a wall being chased by 2 Great Tits? I put the news out before walking to the correct destination. Black Redstart is bird which hasn't yet occurred at the Docks but is a number of species which is highly likely to appear sometime in the near future.
 
After the meeting was finished I headed to the Docks to see what was coming into roost. After checking the Egreton and Morpeth Dock to see if the Little Grebe was about, which it didn't appear to be, I headed off to the East Float to see what was about. After watching the Cormorants flyover to there roost site, still need to locate the main patch, I didn't see just 1 but 2 Mute Swans on the Float and they were both Juv birds which stayed for few minutes before taking off and heading towards Bidston Moss. These Mute Swans are 100% the same 2 Juv birds which were this years brood from Bidston Moss, which is also were you get the Wirral's only proven breeding pair of Great crested Grebes, which produced 5 young this year. Bidston Moss is also a highly under watched site and if its incorporated into the new WeBS boundaries such as Birkenhead Docks then it'll be featured on the Blog and be part the "patch".
 
As you can see I managed to get a shot of the 2 Swans in flight taking off from the Docks, not bad for an IPhone!
 
Juv Mute Swans (EM)

 
Observers: Elliot and Adele Montieth

No comments:

Post a Comment