Saturday, 28 November 2015

GREAT NORTHEN DIVER !!!

Starting off at Pacific Road were the Peregrine was back on top of the Air Vent, I walked over to the  Morpeth Dock were passerines dominated with 4 Goldfinch, 2 Blackbird, 3 Robin and 2 Mistle Thrush. There was also 1 Cormorant on the pontoon which was too far to race ID.
 
Peregrine (EM)
Even walking over to the East Float you could tell that something good was going to appear as there was 33 Great Crested Grebe, 2 Woodpigeon20c Black-headed Gull, 70c Herring Gull along with 1 Great Crested Grebe and 1 Pied Wagtail on the Alfred Dock.
 
Great crested Grebes and Gulls (EM)
Now today I was hoping to do a full lap round the docks before going out with a friend, but due to the wind and rain I wasn't able to do that. I when arrived at the Flats near the Tern Raft (East Float) I was having a look around to see if there was any Great Crested Grebe hiding around, but while I was scanning the area I thought I saw a Great Northern Diver.............I took a shot of it then zoomed in and saw that it was in fact an adult GREAT NORTHERN DIVER !!! I was in shock to be fair as any birder would finding such a beauty on there patch and giving such views. As soon as I realised what it was I put out the news via Twitter and text messages and it wasn't long till a small crowed started to gather round by road side caf√©, which is were I headed.
 
Great Northern Diver (EM)

Great Northern Diver (EM)

Great Northern Diver (EM)

Great Northern Diver (EM)
When I arrived Allan Conlin had just pulled up and spotted 1 COOT (2nd), quickly followed by 2 Shelduck (1st) flying over heading SW. After this the weather started to deteriorate so me, mum and Andy went off to check the Gull roost on the West Float which produced 500c Gulls, before heading to the Egerton Dock were there was 1 Kingfisher. Once again being elusive.
 
Relating back to the GND this is the 2nd record for the Docks. When I went to see the Red-throated Diver at the West Kirby Marine Lake on Thursday, I got talking to a bloke (forgot name), who grew up around the docks and said that he remembered seeing a GND on the West Float, this birder is trust worthy! The GND is a bird I've been hoping to see as the docks as to me the docks is an ideal place for any storm blown birds such as Divers, Scoters and "winter grebes". The GND is also my 230th British lifer!
 
Observers: Elliot and Adele Montieth, Andy Mottram and Allan Conlin 

2 comments:

  1. Cheers mate, congrats on finding the Cetti's Warbler at Winsford! There was another GND seen flying very high over New Brighton today spotted by Allan Conlin, hoping it'll join this bird on the East Float.

    ReplyDelete