Saturday, 23 April 2016

23/04/16

Today's visit was an attempt to get a new bird for the Dock List, Whimbrel.

For an attempt of adding this migrant wader to the Dock List I'd be spending the day at Seacombe Ferry were I was hoping one would make a flyby as the tide went out. On the way down I picked up 1 Swallow, 2 Great crested Grebe, 2 Canada Geese and 1 Peregrine at the East Float.
Peregrine
Whilst at Seacombe there were none of the normal waders roosting on the Ferry Terminal but over on the rock armour there were 15 Dunlin roosting which was a surprising find as there's usually too much disturbance for any roosting birds.
Dunlin

Dunlin
Over the 2hrs I spent watching over the Mersey the only real birds to note were 100c Herring Gulls over in the Liverpool Docks, 50c Herring Gull on the Mersey, 3 Cormorant and 2 Sandwich Tern which made a flyby as they were existing the Mersey. One of the gulls on the Mersey caught my attention when it done a flyby as I wasn't 100% sure on what it was. I got a few snaps and sent them off to friend of mine and finder of American Herring & Azorean Yellow-legged Gull Cian Cardiff who identified it as a 1st winter Scandinavian Herring Gull.
Dunlin

1st winter Scandinavian Herring Gull

Sandwich Tern


Observer: Elliot Montieth

No comments:

Post a Comment